What we do:


Saints Advocate is a Student Leadership Co-Curricular Activity (CCA) in St. Andrew's Junior College (SAJC) that aims to promote awareness and advocate changes for worthy social causes in both the local and overseas communities, by interacting directly with members of the community on a personal and sustainable level, with a clear focus towards being an agent of change.

Wednesday, June 11, 2014

OCIP trip to Batam, Indonesia (cont.3)

Day 4


Today marks the fourth day of the Fifth Saints’ Advocate OCIP trip! Yay!

Firstly, in the morning we leveled the floor. Next, we played with the children before lunch. During lunch break, we had a chat with one of the adults who stayed in the orphanage. Soon, I was off for the colouring lessons with the children and my CCA mates.


During the building session, when we leveled the floor, the work was hard. However, teamwork, cheering from the other Advocates and Teachers were the real morale boost to the others and I who were working under the hot sun in the morning!

Making cement to level the floor
Passing buckets of cements to plaster the floor  
Plastering the floor
When we were playing the games with the children in the morning, I realized that the children were respectful to us. The older boys there were really polite and gentle in their gestures and despite our communication barriers, we managed to communicate smoothly, regarding rules and regulations of volleyball and captain’s ball.

Moreover, I realised that the children cared for each other and always kept a lookout for each other despite the large age gap. There was a kid crying. A teenager stopped what he was doing and went to comfort him.

Playing an Indonesian traditional game
After that, we had lunch. It was a simple meal but we had a great time with the company of everyone. We had a chat with one of the residents. We learnt that he had been smoking since he was ten. Later, we found out that because cigarettes are cheap in Indonesia. Thus, there is mass advertising of smoking which leads to the popularity of smoking in Indonesia.

We also managed to chat with Sarah, one of the children living in the village nearby. She mentioned that she wanted to be a doctor in order to earn money to build houses and a swimming pool for her mother, sister and herself. She also mentioned that poor people cannot have a house. It is a wonder that a child at the age of six can have such deep thoughts. It makes us wonder whether children are truly as innocent and as ignorant as they seem.

In the middle of the photo: Sarah
After the chatting session, we had some free time to play with the children. Some Advocates chose to sleep as they were too exhausted. However, I decided to play with the children. Playing with the children reminded of my own childhood. It made me think back on all of my memories and I became nostalgic.  Moreover, the enthusiasm of the children was really infectious and I felt my weariness turned into enthusiasm as I continued to play with them.


I also learnt from these children how to be more open and welcoming to people, especially those whom I have recently met. Unlike me who would not be so warm to an acquaintance, the children were very warm and welcoming to us.  If such small children could be so friendly, why couldn’t I? Thus, I told myself that when I return to Singapore, I will be more welcoming to the new people I meet.

During lesson time, it was obvious that some children shared their things with others willingly while some did not. It was a good opportunity to understand their different personalities. However, most children were friendly to one another and were not hesitant in correcting each others’ mistakes.

I hope after this OCIP trip, I will appreciate the construction workers and kindergarten teachers as I had experienced what it is like to do their work. In addition, I hope that I will be more grateful to my parents as they care a lot for me.

By Narthana Anandan and Yurun Lin
5th Saints Advocate

No comments:

Post a Comment